1. How to fulfill the English Language Proficiency Requirement?

  • You may submit the score report of one of the following tests. The scores listed below are for reference only. Some programmes may have a higher requirement on the score requirement. Please refer to the relevant division leaflet for details.
    • TOEFL (not lower than 550 paper based, 213 computer based, and 79 internet based);
    • GMAT (Verbal not lower than 21);
    • IELTS (not lower than Band 6.5);
  • Or possess a pass grade in English in one of the following examinations:
    • Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (AS Level);
    • Hong Kong Higher Level Examination; or
    • CUHK Matriculation Examination;
  • Or have a degree from a university in Hong Kong or an English speaking country,
  • Or have obtained a recognized professional qualification awarded in Hong Kong or an English speaking country.


2. Is there any special admission requirement on non-local applicants?

  • The application requirements are the same for both local and non-local applicants. However, non-local students need to obtain a valid permit/visa from the Hong Kong Immigration Department before registration.


3. When should I submit my application, and what documents are required?

All materials should be received before the application deadlines. You are required to submit the following application documents:

  • Completed paper application form or submit your Online Application;
  • Official Transcripts of academic records issued by your universities*;
  • Copy of degree certificate;
  • Documentary proof of fulfilling the English Language Proficiency Requirement (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL);
  • Confidential recommendations from 2 referees*;
  • Receipt of application fee (no need to enclose if you submitted your application online, and chose to pay the application fee by credit card. Please note that only International credit card is acceptable for payment via online application.);;and
  • Copy of your HKID card or other identity document.

*The Official Transcript and Confidential Recommendation should be sent directly from the applicant’s university and referee to the graduate division, or in sealed envelopes and send by the applicant with other supporting documents to the graduate division.


4. When will I receive the notification of my application result?

  • Application results will be posted on the Graduate School website www2.cuhk.edu.hk/gss from April to August. Successful applicants will receive their offer letters by mail. Applicants should consider their applications unsuccessful if they do not hear from us thereafter.


5. How can I apply for a valid visa to study in Hong Kong?

  • If you are admitted to our programme, the Graduate School will assist you to apply for entry permit from the Hong Kong Immigration Department and send the permit to you by courier. You are also required to apply for a valid exit permit from your country.


6. Upon M.Sc. completion, would I be eligible for PhD in Philosophy programme at CUHK?

No, M.Sc. does not lead to Ph.D. Please refer to our Department’s Website for details.


7. Would the Division certify true copy if I present the original transcript to the Division?

We will certify true copy only if your university is proven to be closed down. Otherwise, the official transcript must be sent in sealed envelope directly from the university where you graduated.