1. When should I submit my application, and what documents are required?

All materials should be received before the application deadlines. You are required to submit the following application documents:

  • Submit your Online Application;
  • Official transcripts (with a complete record of courses attended and examination results) and grading schemes of all tertiary level studies issued by the Registry of your universities*;
  • Copy of degree certificate;
  • Documentary proof of fulfilling the English Language Proficiency Requirement (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL);
  • Confidential recommendations from 2 referees*; and
  • Copy of your HKID card or other identity document.

*Photocopies will NOT be accepted (except CUHK qualifications). Applicants should download the Transcript Submission Covering Sheet and send it to the issuing universities to apply for official transcripts. Official transcripts should be sent directly to relevant Graduate Division in a sealed envelope from the issuing university.


2. How to fulfill the English Language Proficiency Requirement?

  • You may submit the score report of one of the following tests. The scores listed below are for reference only. Some programmes may have a higher requirement on the score requirement. Please refer to the relevant division leaflet for details.
    • TOEFL (not lower than 550 paper based, 213 computer based, and 79 internet based);
    • GMAT (Verbal not lower than 21);
    • IELTS (not lower than Band 6.5);
  • Or possess a pass grade in English in one of the following examinations:
    • Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (AS Level);
    • Hong Kong Higher Level Examination;
    • Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination; or
    • CUHK Matriculation Examination;
  • Or have a degree from a university in Hong Kong or an English speaking country,
  • Or have obtained a recognized professional qualification awarded in Hong Kong or an English speaking country.


3. Is there any special admission requirement on non-local applicants?

  • The application requirements are the same for both local and non-local applicants. However, non-local students need to obtain a valid permit/visa from the Hong Kong Immigration Department before registration.


4. How can I check my application and payment status?

  • Admission offers are normally made in the period from November to May.  You may log in to the Online Application System for Postgraduate Programmes to check your application status and pay the application fee by credit card.  Please also note that the application fee, once paid, is non-refundable and non-transferable.  Applicants should consider their applications unsuccessful if they do not hear from us thereafter.


5. How can I apply for a valid visa to study in Hong Kong?


6. Upon M.Sc. completion, would I be eligible for PhD in Philosophy programme at CUHK?

No, M.Sc. does not lead to Ph.D. Please refer to our Department’s Website for details.


7. Would the Division certify true copy if I present the original transcript to the Division?

We will certify true copy only if your university is proven to be closed down. Otherwise, the official transcript must be sent in sealed envelope directly from the university where you graduated.